Quote of the Day

"A loving heart is the truest wisdom." Charles Dickens

Introduction

Hello and welcome to my blog! I'm sure that health and well-being are subjects near and dear to most people's hearts. I'd like to use this blog to share ideas with others, what works and what doesn't. With the help of my cats, Maggie and Mingo, of course. They help me in the following ways: 1. by getting in the way; 2. by adding their comments to my writing; 3. by providing comfort with their purrs; and 4. by letting me know it's time to quit and play with them when they drag over their favorite toys and drop them in my lap.



Are you or someone you know thinking of hip replacement surgery? Don't be as unprepared as I was when I had my first one done. The doctors and medical personnel do NOT provide you with enough information to prepare for the recovery ordeal. Learn from my inexpensive ebook exactly how to prepare and what to have on hand for your recovery in assisting with your activities of daily living. You will have restrictions in what you can do. Don't risk dislocating your nice new hip by not being prepared. It does happen, but it doesn't have to happen to you. Go to my website at www.aakemp.com to purchase this really essential and informative guide.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Humor

Humor can play a very large role in our wellness programs. It's all around us if we just look. Not only on TV or in books and magazines, but other people and animals are great sources of things to tickle our funnybones. I used to work with a mentally retarded woman who had pretty much lost the ability to add new words to her vocabulary. What she did upon hearing a new word was to replace it with one she already knew that sounded similar. Some of her utterances were truly hilarious.

Let's play a little game to show you what I mean. I'll give you a sentence she (let's call her Sally) would have said and you fill in what she should have said.
For example: As we were riding along one day, we passed a pasture with some little donkeys standing around under a tree.
Sally's sentence: Correct sentence:
Those donkeys look finished. Those donkeys look famished.

Okay, your turn. I'll give you some of Sally's more memorable remarks and you tell me what she really meant:

1) I had to sleep on a crouton last night.
2) She fixed me some college cheese for lunch.
3) I have a friend in Pepsi-Cola, Florida.
and her favorite one:
4) I wish I could have a celery phone.

Do you notice a pattern in her remarks?

2 comments:

  1. Sally's difficulty with words is really interesting; would that be classed as a type of aphasia?

    I've always been interested in linguistics - the more so at the moment, since my son has just entered the pre-language stage of his development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alannah, I don't believe Sally's problem was a from of aphasia. She simply had a difficult time assimilating new words into her vocabulary. I wish I had kept track of all the bloopers she made over the years that I knew her. It would have made for hilarious reading.

    ReplyDelete